Do you want to see the 2 biggest Inca sites in Peru in the same week?
Choquequirao and Machu Picchu are waiting for you! Very few people on Earth have made this epic journey to both of these incredible places. There are no trains or buses to Choquequirao so you have to travel by foot before continuing on to Machu Picchu.
This trek is a one-of-a-kind experience that weaves through spectacular canyons, snow-capped peaks, and sub-tropical rain forest to two of the most incredible sites of ancient Inca culture. Get off the beaten path and join us for this experience of a lifetime.
|START/END LOCATION||Your hotel in Cusco|
|Private, English speaking guide||All entrance fees and permits|
|All meals as listed (can accommodate dietary restrictions with proper notice)||Tents – 2 people/tent (single occupancy available for additional charge.)|
|Duffel bags for items to be carried by porters (up to 15lbs/7kilos per person).||Sleeping Mat|
|All transportation from end to end||Basic First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle|
|Walking sticks (available for rent $12)||Travel Insurance|
|Lunch and Dinner – Day 4||Gratuity|
|Alcoholic Beverages of any kind||Sleeping Bag (can be rented for $30)|
This is a full-service trek where you only carry a day pack. All gear, food, and tents are carried by porters and pack animals.
Day 1: CUSCO – SANTA ROSA
- We will drive from Cusco to the head of the trail at Cachora for breakfast.
- The first leg of the trek takes 4 hours until we get to Chiquisqa for lunch.
- After lunch, a 2 hour climb takes us to the campsite at Santa Rosa for Andean Happy Hour and dinner.
Day 2: SANTA ROSA - CHOQUEQUIRAO
- After a delicious breakfast, we start the three-hour hike to Marampata.
- We will spend an hour in Marampata enjoying lunch and taking in the spectacular views.
- After lunch, we continue on to Choquequirao where we will spend the afternoon exploring the ruins until it is time for dinner.
- We will watch the sunset there and cross our fingers for a chance to see condors.
Day 3: CHOQUEQUIRAO -PINCHAYNIYOQ
- After breakfast, you will begin your guided tour of the ruins where you will see the highlights
- After your tour, you will follow the Inca water channel out of the citadel through the cloud forest to your next campsite at Pinchayniyoq.
Day 4: PINCHAYNIYOQ - MAIZAL
- After a sunrise breakfast, we will hike through the highland forest to the Rio Blanco valley.
- After lunch, we will make the steep climb to Maizal where we will have amazing views of the snow-capped Salkantay mountain at our campsite. We may even get lucky and see some condors.
Day 5: MAIZAL - LUCMABAMBA
- After breakfast, we will have a long day climbing over 2 mountain passes – San Juan and Choqueqatarpo before finally descending into the village of Yanama.
- We will say goodbye to our horsemen here and take a van to the small town of Lucmabamba for our final night of camping.
Day 6: LUCMABAMBA - AGUAS CALIENTES
- Today, we will have a steep climb to the recently rediscovered Inca site of Llactapata. From here, we will have a view of Machu Picchu from the back side which tourists rarely see.
- We will descend on sharp zigzagged trails over the Urubamba river to the hydroelectric center train station for lunch.
- After lunch, you can take the train or hike for 3 hours to the town of Aguas Calientes where you will sleep in a nice, comfy hotel bed for the evening.
Day 7: MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
- Today is the big day! You will have a 2 hour guided tour of the Machu Picchu citadel before having some time to enjoy it on your own.
- You can hike the Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain extensions (can be added for $30 and reserved in advance).
- Once you finish exploring, you will take the bus back to the town of Aguas Calientes to catch your train back to Cusco.
- We will take you back to your hotel and say hasta luego!
|For a more detailed itinerary, click here.|