Duration: 2 Days/1 Night
Start/End Point: Cusco
Price: From $500 USD
This condensed version of the Classic Inca Trail hike is perfect for those who are big on adventure, but a little short on time or may not want all the fuss of sleeping in a tent. This tour will take you on a one-day hike from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu with a few stops at some other incredible Inca sites along the way.
- Travel on the Inca Trail is very popular and needs to be reserved several months in advance.
- Government regulations require a copy of a full passport and full payment before tickets can be issued.
- There is no guarantee of availability, even for this shortened version.
2 Trekkers (Private): $625 USD per person
3+ Trekkers: $500 USD per person
Only your $200 non-refundable deposit is due to reserve your space! Final payments are due 30 days before your trek.
✓ Transportation from end to end
✓ English speaking guide
✓ All meals as listed (can accommodate dietary restrictions with proper notice)
✓ Accommodation at a 3 star hotel in Aguas Calientes
✓ All entrance fees and permits
Does not include:
X Gratuity for staff
X Accommodation in Cusco
X Travel insurance
X Lunch & Dinner Day 2
X Walking sticks (available for rent for $12)
X Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb (can be reserved in advance available for additional fee of $85 per person)
DAY 1: OLLANTAYTAMBO – KM 104- AGUAS CALIENTES
“You travel because your legs have to follow your heart.”
- We will pick you up from your hotel early to take you to the Ollantaytambo train station. After one hour and ten minutes on the train, we will reach kilometer 104 – the start of the Inca trail.
- From here, we will visit the site of Chachabamba and then walk four hours to Wiñay Wayna (Forever Young) where we will have a boxed lunch.
- After a boxed lunch, we will continue for two more hours to Inti Punku, The Sun gate, where we will get our first view of Machu Picchu.
- After spending some time there, you will take a shuttle to Aguas Calientes where you will check into your hotel. At night, we will meet and have dinner together.
Walking distance: 6 1/2 miles (14 KM)
Elevation: km104: 2100mt/Sun Gate 2700mt
Weather: Cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon, it could rain, watch out for mosquitos.
Day 2 – AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
- Today is the highlight of the trek. After breakfast, we will head up to Machu Picchu again to begin your two-hour guided tour of the most important sites in the city.
- Following the tour, if you purchased a ticket in advance to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will complete those hikes at this time (tickets to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain are NOT included and must be purchased separately).
- When your tour (or climb) is over, you will take the shuttle back to the Aguas Calientes train station for your ride back to Ollantaytambo. A private van will take you back to your hotel in Cusco from the train station.
Walking distance: varied! You can spend as much time as you like exploring Machu Picchu city or taking an additional hike.
Difficulty: Moderate. Machu Picchu city is large and requires many trips up and down stairs to see it all.
Weather: Hot and humid (bring a lot of water and rain gear)