Duration: 5 Days/4 Nights
Start/End Point: Cusco
Price: From $775 USD
An alternative to the classic Salkantay Trek that will get you way off the beaten path and on to a portion of the classic Inca Trail. You’ll see it all on this trek – from snow-capped peaks to the rainforest – and you’ll have the place to yourself!
This trail starts off similar to the Salkantay trek with a visit to the famous Humantay Lake and passing the Salkantay glacier, but the similarities end after day one. Taking the footpath only traveled by local ranchers, you’ll experience a part of the Peruvian Andes that few others have ever seen – and the views do not disappoint!
*This is a full-service trek. A duffel bag will be provided prior to hiking for your personal items and our staff will transport the bag and all other equipment (tents, food, cooking supplies) from campsite to campsite. All you will need to carry is your day pack.
2 Trekkers (Private): $1200 USD per person
3+ Trekkers: $775 USD per person
Only your $200 non-refundable deposit is due to reserve your space! Final payments are due 30 days before your trek.
✓ Transportation from end to end
✓ English speaking guide
✓ All meals as listed (can accommodate dietary restrictions with proper notice)
✓ Duffle bags for items to be carried by porters (up to 15lbs/7kilos per person).
✓ Clean water at every meal stop
✓ Accommodation at a 3 star hotel in Aguas Calientes
✓ All entrance fees and permits
✓ Tents – 2 people/tent (single occupancy available for additional charge)
✓ Sleeping Mat
✓ Basic First aid kit including emergency oxygen tank
Does not include:
X Gratuity for staff
X Accommodation in Cusco
X Travel insurance
X Lunch & Dinner Day 5
X Walking sticks (available for rent for $12)
X Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb (can be reserved in advance available for additional fee of $85 per person)
X Sleeping Bag (can be rented for $30)
DAY 1: CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA – ICHUPATA
Good morning! Are you ready to do this?
- Today starts the adventure of a lifetime! You’ll have 4 hours in the car to mentally prep for a serious day of hiking.
- We’ll provide a hearty breakfast before your first out and back climb to Lake Humantay – a pure, turquoise glacial lake that will be the first of many things to take your breath away this week.
- From the lake, we’ll keep getting in our steps with some serious elevation to our campsite at Ichupata.
- Prepare yourself for a chilly night, but the views of the milky way and Salkantay glacier will make it all worthwhile.
DAY 2: ICHUPATA – INKACHIRIASK’A PASS – PAMPAKAWANA
Good morning! Coca tea?
- We’ll fuel up with a hearty breakfast before starting our challenging hike to the Inkachiriask’a pass (16076ft/4900m) where we’ll take a little break and enjoy the views.
- After celebrating our achievement at the pass, we’ll give our lungs some relief and head to lower elevation for 2.5 more hours to the lunch spot in the Pampak’awana valley.
- We’ll continue the descent to our campsite with more amazing views and encounters with some friendly alpacas and llamas – get your cameras ready to take pictures of your new friends!
DAY 3: PAMPAK’AWANA – PAUKARCANCHA – PATALLACTA – KM 88
Hope you got some good sleep, chicos!
- We keep the downhill pace rolling after breakfast while we make our way along the Inca water channel.
- We’ll experience some Inca culture today as we pass through local villages and pass hikers starting out on the classic Inca Trail hike.
- After lunch, we have about 2.5 more hours to go to our campsite at KM 88.
DAY 4: KM 88- KM 82 – AGUAS CALIENTES
Don’t relax yet! We still have one more day, amigos.
- Our last day will take us out on the famous Inca Trail at last!
- We’ll say “hasta luego” to our horsemen and chef and cross one of the oldest Inca bridges in the region and hike along the Urubamba river.
- Once we reach KM 82, your feet will get some relief, but keep your eyes open! The train ride to Aguas Calientes will be a treat.
- After a nice, hot shower at your hotel in Aguas Calientes, you’ll be ready to celebrate with dinner in town
DAY 5: MACHU PICCHU- CUSCO
Today is the day, People! Machu Picchu is here!
- It’s the day you’ve been waiting for – your visit to Machu Picchu!
- You’ll have a guided tour of the whole city while feeling the magic and energy that make this place one of the most incredible places on Earth.
- After the tour, we’ll head back to Aguas Calientes, or if you’ve purchased a permit to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain (Must be purchased separately in advance), you will go there at the designated time.
- You will get lunch or a snack in Aguas Calientes on your own before we catch the train back to Cusco. At your hotel, we will say “hasta luego” to you, our new friends.