By now, everyone has heard of the Inca Trail – the legendary trek leading to the lost city of the Incas – Machu Picchu. This incredible trail takes you through some of the most amazing scenery in the Andes and passes massive Inca sites you’ve likely never heard of.
Typically, people complete this trek in 4 days – 3 long days of hiking and the 4th bringing you into Machu Picchu. Over this 4-day experience, the most common questions we get are “how much farther?” or “are we almost done?” and our favorite – “how many more stairs?
We’ve realized over time that it might be a common misconception among travelers that this trail has to be completed in 4 days. What if we told you there is actually an option to spread the experience over 5 days? Over this last year, we had more customers opting in for the 5-day Inca Trail and the response has been incredible. Taking this extra day will help you avoid the crowds, make the trek less strenuous, and let you have more fun so you may even want to come back and do it again.
Here are some reasons we think you should opt for the 5-day Inca Trail if you’re considering making this life-changing journey:
- We take the trail at a much slower pace. The days are shorter and the campsites closer together, so you have more time to take breaks and photos.
- The trail takes the same path, but the campsites are different. You start your days later and further away from the 4-day trekkers which lets you avoid the crowds not only on the trail, but in the evenings when you’re relaxing and trying to sleep.
- You have more time to enjoy the trail and the Inca sites along the way. Many people don’t even realize that there are Inca sites other than Machu Picchu. Taking the trail at this pace gives you a chance to really explore each site and understand their unique purpose.
- You still have 3 nights camping under the spectacular southern Milky Way, but you have a 4th night at a hotel in Aguas Calientes. This gives you a chance to sleep in a comfy bed, take a hot shower, and reflect on your journey before returning to Machu Picchu on the 5th
- You have the opportunity to visit Machu Picchu twice. On day 4, you visit the city in the afternoon, and you go back in the morning on day 5. With the new regulations at Machu Picchu, we can’t stay all day like we used to so this opportunity to visit twice with one ticket is unique (stay tuned for a future blog about the new timing regulations!)
Regardless of whether you choose 4 days or 5 days, taking this journey will be an experience of a lifetime. This trail is meant to be enjoyed and we often hear from our customers that they hold more value in the journey than in the moment they step foot in Machu Picchu. If this is something you’re going to do just once in your life, we hope you take the time to really enjoy it and appreciate every moment.
If you’re interested in hiking the Inca Trail over 5 days this year, please contact us for availability. We would love to be a part of your experience.