Just you and the trail. Winding your way up and down the Andes through snow and rainforest. It’s not easy, but don’t worry! You got this!
Connecting the city of Cusco to Machu Picchu, the Salkantay (Savage) trek is an ancient and remote footpath where massive snowcapped mountains collide with lush tropical rain forests.
This trek is designed for people who enjoy the outdoors and physical challenge of hiking over high passes with unparalleled visual rewards. One of our best and most rigorous treks!
This is a full-service trek where you only carry a day pack. All gear, food, and tents are carried by porters and pack animals.
|START/END LOCATION||Your hotel in Cusco|
|Transportation from end to end||Accommodation at a 3 star hotel in Aguas Calientes|
|Private, English speaking guide||All entrance fees and permits|
|All meals as listed (can accommodate dietary restrictions with proper notice)||Tents – 2 people/tent (single occupancy available for additional charge.)|
|Duffel bags for items to be carried by porters (up to 15lbs/7kilos per person).||Sleeping Mat|
|Clean water at every meal stop||Basic First aid kit including emergency oxygen tank|
|Walking sticks (available for rent)||Breakfast – Day one|
|Lunch and Dinner – Day 5||Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb (can be reserved in advance available for additional fee of $30 per person)|
|Alcoholic Beverages of any kind||Sleeping Bag (can be rented for $30)|
Day 1: CUSCO – SORAYPAMPA
- Ride 2 1/2 hours by car from Cusco to the head of the trail.
- Breakfast & lunch at Soraypampa.
- Visit Humantay Lake(3 hours round trip walk- moderate)
- Campsite at Salkantay Pampa.(3 hours- moderate walk)((2pp per tent)
Day 2: SALKANTAY PAMPA - COLPAPAMPA
- Climb to the Salkantay Pass- 2 1/2 hours- challenging
- After passing around high fives, take your own selfie, have a snack, and marvel at the majesty of the Salkantay Peak
- Descend through Salkantay valley for 2 1/2 hours(moderate) – Lunch
- Begin descent into the cloudy forest (3 hours downhill- moderate)- Colpapampa- Campsite
Day 3: COLPAPAMPA - LUCMABAMABA
- Descend and walk along the Santa Teresa River towards Lucmabamba (6 hours-moderate)
- Lunch at campsite
- Afternoon visit to a local coffee plantation OR Hot spring: This is an afternoon activity that replaces the coffee tour (subject to additional cost)
- Say HASTA PRONTO AMIGOS to our horsemen
Day 4: LUCMABAMBA-AGUAS CALIENTES
- Walk uphill through the cloudy forest to the Llactapata Pass for a seldom-seen view of Machu Picchu.(3 hours-challenging)
- Walk winding descent to Aobamba River Valley,(2 1/2hours-less challenging)
- Last lunch with your chef at hydroelectric-train station
- Say HASTA LUEGO AMIGOS to our porters
- Ending the day with a 45-minute train ride to Aguas Calientes or OPTIONAL walk (3 hours)
- Hotel and Shower.
Day 5: MACHU PICCHU- CUSCO
- Early morning guided tour of Machu Picchu
- Free time for further exploration or a hike up Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain. (Tickets to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain are NOT included and must be purchased separately in advance)
- Lunch in Aguas Calientes(on your own)
- Train ride and van transport back to Cusco
|For a more detailed itinerary, click here.|