Connecting the city of Cusco to Machu Picchu, the Salkantay (Savage) trek is an ancient and remote footpath where massive snowcapped mountains collide with lush tropical rain forests.
This trek is designed for people who enjoy the outdoors and physical challenge of hiking over high passes with unparalleled visual rewards. One of our best and most rigorous treks!
This is a full-service trek where you only carry a day pack. All gear, food, and tents are carried by porters and pack animals.
Spend 4 days hiking through high snow-capped mountains into the heart of the rain forest.
Three nights will be spent camping in a tent.
The 4th night will be at a hotel in the small town of Aguas Calientes.
Day 5 is the big reward with a visit to Machu Picchu before traveling back to Cusco by train.
Total Walking Distance: 62km/37.5 miles + Walking time around Machu Picchu
Elevation: Minimum: 2600m/8530ft Maximum: 4600m/15,091ft
Difficulty: Challenging/Difficult. Must be prepared. Long distances and rocky terrain plus high altitude.
Weather: Day 1 is chilly, very cold at night. Days 2-5 are chilly in the mornings, warm during the days and nights. Always a chance of rain.
For a detailed itinerary, click here.
- Pick up from your hotel in Cusco
- Private transportation
- Private, English speaking guide
- All entrance fees
- Drop off at your hotel in Cusco
- All meals as specified in the itinerary (dietary preferences honored with proper notice)
- Hotel in Aguas Calientes (Double occupancy. Single occupancy available for additional charge)
- Round-trip bus ticket from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Train ticket from Hydroelectric Center to Aguas Calientes
- Train ticket from Aguas Calientes to Ollantaytambo
- Tent (Double occupancy. Single occupancy available for additional charge)
- Sleeping mat
- Clean water at every meal stop
- Duffel bags to be carried by porters (up to 15pounds/7kilos per person)
- Basic First Aid equipment
- Lunch and Dinner – Day 5
- Walking sticks (available for rent)
- Optional dip in hot springs
- Sleeping Bag (available for rent for $30)
- Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain climb (available for additional $30 fee)
- Alcoholic beverages of any kind
- Travel insurance
- Tips for porters, horsemen, chef, and guide (to see our guide for tipping, please go here)
*ON SALE* $650 per person
All prices based on double occupancy at three star hotels. Requests for alternative accommodations will be honored for an additional fee.
Walking sticks: $12
Sleeping bag: $30
Huayna Picchu OR Machu Picchu Mountain Climb: $30
1 – Complete form below for availability or Join a Group.
2 – Check your email!
3 – Confirm the details and make payment.