RAINBOW MOUNTAIN -
The Rainbow Mountain, without a doubt, offers some of the most wonderful and unique scenery in the world. It is an amazing option for those looking to get out of town for the day for a challenging, high-altitude hike that reaches elevation over 5000m/16000ft. Along the way, you will find unique wildlife and get close to the glacier of Ausangate, sitting comfortably at 6380m/20,926ft. Completing this full-day hike will take you back in time to a place where the locals still wear traditional ponchos and hats and reward you with quiet, uncrowded trails, stunning snow-capped peaks, and the unusual streaked landscapes of the Rainbow Mountains of Vinicuna.
- We will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco at 4:30am. After a three and a half hour drive, we will arrive in the village of Chillca (3,700/12,139ft) where we will have a light breakfast.
- From Chillca, we will walk* for approximately four hours uphill to the famous Rainbow Mountain where you will have amazing views of the red mountains and the famous Asungate glacier.
- After taking your time to enjoy the summit and a boxed lunch, we will begin our descent back down the same trail to Chillca. It will take less time to descend to Chillca than it took to climb up. Our van will be waiting there to take you back to your hotel in Cusco so you can have dinner at your leisure.
You will have the option to take a horse or mule at any point for 70 soles (approximately $25) if you feel this trek is too challenging to complete by foot.
- All transportation (car or bus)
- All entrance fees
- English speaking guide
- Boxed lunch
- Basic First Aid kit
- Breakfast and Dinner
- Tips (to see our guide for tipping, please go here)
- Alcoholic Beverages
- Walking Sticks (can be rented for an additional fee)
Total Distance: 6km/10 miles (6 hours walking)
Difficulty: Challenging. The trail is not long, but it is steep.
Elevation: Minimum: 3,700/12,139ft Maximum (5000m/16,000ft)
Weather: Cold in the morning, warm while walking. Can be windy and cold with rain or snow at the summit.
*Please Note: Price includes cost of the full-day tour only. First Step Expeditions can reserve hotels and combine this tour with any other tour our trek for a fully customized itinerary.
Walking sticks: $12
Horse: $25 (please bring cash if you feel an emergency horse may be required)