HUCHUY QOSQO -
This is a fantastic trek that enables you to hike from Cusco all the way across to the Sacred Valley. On this route, you will find spectacular mountain views and an interesting set of archaeological sites that are believed to have been abandoned by the time the Spanish arrived in Peru. Little is known about this mysterious site, and many believe it may have been the country retreat of one of the first Incas. Its three-story houses, extensive walls, large central square, high terraces, and hidden location make this one of the real gems of the Cusco area. The Huchuy Qosco trek is perfect for those with a short time frame or who are looking for an “easier” trekking route.
CUSCO – HUCHUY QOSQO
- We will pick you up from your hotel in Cusco and drive to the ruins of Tambo Machay. After four hours climbing uphill, you will be rewarded with spectacular views over Cusco City while you enjoy a light lunch.
- After about four more hours, we will arrive at a small community known as Pucamarca, where we will have dinner and camp for the night.
HUCHUY QOSQO – AGUAS CALIENTES
- After breakfast, you descend through a delightful canyon full of Inca remains to emerge high above the Sacred Valley for your first views of Huchuy Qosqo.
- After exploring the ruins in the company of your expert guide, you will probably have this impressive site entirely to yourself.
- Once you have finished exploring, we will start descending for two hours to Lamay where you have lunch. Then, we will take our van to Ollantaytambo train station to ride to Aguas Calientes for the night.
AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – OLLANTAYTAMBO- CUSCO
- Today is the highlight of the trek. We recommend waking up early to catch the first bus around 5:30am. After entering Machu Picchu, you will have a two-hour guided tour of the most important sites in the city.
- Following the tour, there will be free time to explore the site at your own pace or do any of the short alternative treks to the Inca Bridge or the Sungate. If you purchased a ticket in advance to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will complete those hikes at this time (tickets to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain are NOT included and must be purchased separately).
- At the designated time, your guide will meet you down in the village of Aguas Calientes to pick up your duffel bags from the hotel and take you to the train station for your ride back to Ollantaytambo. A private van will take you back to your hotel in Cuscso from the train station.
Total Walking distance: 21km/13miles + as much time as you like exploring Machu Picchu city.
Elevation: Minimum: 3500m/11482 Maximum:4300/14107ft
Difficulty: Moderate/Challenging – Day one is 14km/8.5 miles over high altitude.
Weather: Cold in the morning, warm while walking, windy. Always a chance of rain so be prepared!
- All transportation (car, train, bus)
- All Entrance fees
- English speaking guide
- Round trip train tickets from Ollantaytambo to Aguas Calientes
- Round trip bus tickets from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu
- Tent for double occupancy (single tents will be an extra charge)
- Basic First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Accommodation in Aguas Calientes in a three star hotel (Double occupancy. Single occupancy available for additional charge)
- All meals as listed in the itinerary (dietary restrictions can be honored with proper notice)
- Sleeping mat
- Duffel bags to be carried by porters (up to 15pounds/7kilos per person)
- Clean water at every meal stop
- Breakfast – Day 1
- Lunch and Dinner – Day 3
- Ticket for Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu optional climb (can be purchased in advance for you for $30)
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters. (To see our guide for tipping, please click here.)
- Walking Sticks (can be rented for an additional fee)
- Sleeping bag (can be rented for an additional fee )
Total Distance: 16km/11.08 miles
Elevation: Minimum: Maximum: 4300m/14,107ft
Weather: Chilly early; warm while walking midday; cold in the evening. Rain likely.