“Sometimes I wonder if the Peruvian Llamas ever miss me back.”
Day 1 – CUSCO – HUARAN- CANCHA CANCHA
- We will pick-up you up from your hotel at 5:00am and drive through the Sacred Valley for about one hour, until we arrive at the town of Calca (2,700m/8,858ft). Here, you will have your first breakfast accompanied by amazing views of the Andes Mountains.
- Next, you will begin your expedition. We will start hiking for about four hours, uphill, along a path with views of farming fields. As we ascend, you will feel the temperature change and start to see different crops and vegetation until we get to the lunch spot.
- After lunch, we will continue hiking for another two hours, uphill, to our first campsite at a local Quechua village called Cancha Cancha (3750m/12,303ft). On arrival, you will have a traditional tea time, and then later, a fantastic dinner before going to sleep.
Day 2 – CANCHA CANCHA- QUISWARANY – LARES – HOT SPRING
- After an early breakfast, we will begin the most incredible and challenging day of your expedition. It will be a three or four hour climb to get to the summit of the Pachacute Mountain (4,680 m/15,354ft ) for absolutely stunning views.
- After some rest, we will begin descending to the lunch spot near a beautiful lake. After lunch, we will keep moving for three hours until we get to the Lares campsite.
- The scenery will be very different as you descend to the Lares Hot Springs.
- At the hot springs, you will have the opportunity to enjoy any of the various pools that are composed of pure volcanic water, which is medicinal in nature and considered to be good for your bones, muscles, headaches, and for managing stress. You will have the option to swim in the hot springs all night or go to the village to chat with locals or purchase handicrafts.
Day 3 – LARES HOT SPRINGS – ANKASMARKA – AGUAS CALIENTES
- After breakfast, we will say goodbye to the horsemen, chef, and porters. At this time, it is customary to provide tips if you feel the team has done a good job. Please see our guide for tipping here)
- Next, you will jump in the van for 1.5 hours, then walk the last leg of your trek through Ankasmarka, the oldest Incan Grain Storage Center in the area. After immersing ourselves in the rich Inca culture, we will take you to Ollantaytambo to take the train to Aguas Calientes. You will stay at a hotel for the night and enjoy dinner at your leisure.
Day 4 – MACHU PICCHU
- Today is the highlight of the trek. We recommend waking up early to catch the first bus around 5:30am. After entering Machu Picchu, you will have a two-hour guided tour of the most important sites in the city.
- Following the tour, there will be free time to explore the site at your own pace or do any of the short alternative treks to the Inca Bridge or the Sungate. If you purchased a ticket in advance to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will complete those hikes at this time (tickets to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain are NOT included and must be purchased separately).
- At the designated time, your guide will meet you down in the village of Aguas Calientes to pick up your duffel bags from the hotel and take you to the train station for your ride back to Ollantaytambo. A private van will take you back to your hotel in Cusco from the train station.
- All transportation (car, train, bus)
- All Entrance fees
- English speaking guide
- Tent for double occupancy (single tents will be an extra charge)
- Basic First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- All meals as listed in the itinerary (dietary restrictions can be honored with proper notice)
- Sleeping mat
- Duffel bags to be carried by porters (up to 15pounds/7kilos per person)
- Clean water at every meal stop
Does Not Include
- Breakfast – Day 1
- Lunch and Dinner – Day 4
- Ticket for Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu optional climb (+ $30)
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters. (To see our guide for tipping, please click here.)
- Walking Sticks (+$12 per pair)
- Sleeping bag (+$30 per person)