“You travel because your legs have to follow your heart.”
This condensed version of the Classic Inca Trail hike is perfect for those who are big on adventure, but a little short on time or may not want all the fuss of sleeping in a tent. This tour will take you from Ollantaytambo to Machu Picchu by train and a little bit by foot, stopping at Chachabamba and Wiñay Wayna along the way.
Day 1 – OLLANTAYTAMBO- KM 104 – MACHU PICCHU
- We will pick you up from your hotel early to take you to the Ollantaytambo train station. After one hour and ten minutes on the train, we will reach kilometer 104 – the start of the Inca trail.
- From here, we will visit the site of Chachabamba and then walk four hours to Wiñay Wayna (Forever Young) where we will have a boxed lunch.
- After a boxed lunch, we will continue for two more hours to Inti Punku, The Sun gate, where we will get our first view of Machu Picchu.
- After spending some time there, you will have the option to walk or take a shuttle to Aguas Calientes where you will check into your hotel. At night, we will meet and have dinner together.
Walking distance: 6 1/2 (14 KM)
Elevation: km104: 2100mt/Sun Gate 2700mt
Weather: Cold in the morning, hot in the afternoon, it could rain, watch out for mosquitos.
Day 2 – AGUAS CALIENTES – MACHU PICCHU – CUSCO
- Today is the highlight of the trek. We recommend waking up early to catch the first bus around 5:30am. After entering Machu Picchu, you will have a two-hour guided tour of the most important sites in the city.
- Following the tour, there will be free time to explore the site at your own pace or do any of the short alternative treks to the Inca Bridge or the Sungate. If you purchased a ticket in advance to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will complete those hikes at this time (tickets to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain are NOT included and must be purchased separately).
- At the designated time, your guide will meet you down in the village of Aguas Calientes to pick up your duffel bags from the hotel and take you to the train station for your ride back to Ollantaytambo. A private van will take you back to your hotel in Cuscso from the train station. Walking distance: varied! You can spend as much time as you like exploring Machu Picchu city or taking an additional hike.
Difficulty: Moderate. Machu Picchu city is large and requires many trips up and down stairs to see it all.
Weather: Hot and humid (bring a lot of water and rain gear)
- All transportation (car, train, bus)
- All Entrance fees
- English speaking guide
- Basic First Aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Accommodation in Aguas Calientes in a three star hotel (Double occupancy. Single occupancy available for additional charge)
- All meals as listed in the itinerary (dietary restrictions can be honored with proper notice)
Does Not Include
- Breakfast – Day 1
- Lunch and Dinner – Day 2
- Ticket for Machu Picchu Mountain or Huayna Picchu optional climb (+ $65)
- Tips for the guide, cook and porters. (To see our guide for tipping, please click here.)
- Walking Sticks (+$12 per pair)
- Sleeping bag (+$30 per person)