CHOQUEQUIRAO TREK -
Choquequirao, otherwise known as Machu Picchu’s sister, was discovered by a French explorer in the 18th century and again by Hiram Bingham in 19th century. This trek is a truly spectacular hike that plunges down into the Apurimac Canyon and then up again to the fascinating ruins of Choquequirao. You are rewarded with spectacular views the whole way as it travels through an immense range of landscapes from snowy mountain passes to sub-tropical rain forest into deep river gorges. This trek is also appealing because the only way to get there is to walk so very few tourists make it there.
Please note: This option does not include entrance to Machu Picchu. However, as with all tours and hikes offered by First Step Expeditions, additional hikes or tours of Cusco and/or Machu Picchu can be added to create a unique and customized adventure.
CUSCO – CACHORA – SANTA ROSA
- Our first day starts by picking you up from your hotel at 5:00am and driving for four hours to the village of Cachora, situated on the edge of the Apurimac Canyon and surrounded by impressive snowcapped peaks.
- We will stop in Cachora for breakfast and to purchase any last minute supplies before continuing by car to Capuliyoc (2915m/9561ft) where we will have our first beautiful views of the Apurimac valley and Choquequirao.
- From here, we will descend steeply into the Apurimac Canyon, taking in the spectacular views as we descend for 4 hours to Chiquisqa (1836m / 6023ft) where we will stop for the first lunch of Andean cuisine.
- After lunch we begin a tough, two-hour climb to the Santa Rosa Campsite where we will have dinner and rest for the night.
Distance: 14km/8.7 miles
Elevation: 2915m/9561ft to 1836m/6023ft to 2200m/7215ft
Weather: Hot and humid
- We will start early with a delicious breakfast before starting our three-hour hike along a narrow trail up the mountain to Marampata. We will spend 1 hours at this place-Marampata taking in spectacular views and enjoying our lunch.
- After lunch, we continue on to Choquequirao where we will spend the afternoon exploring the ruins until it is time for dinner. We will watch the sunset there and cross our fingers for a chance to see condors.
Distance: 14km/8.7 miles
Elevation: 2200m/7215ft to 3100m/10170ft
Weather: Hot and humid; cold in the evening
CHOQUEQUIRAO – CHIQUISKA
- Today, we have a chance to explore Choquequirao a little more. After waking up early for breakfast, you will head off on a guided tour of the site during which you will be shown the most important and interesting sections of the city.
- After your tour, you will begin the trek back along the edge of the Apurimac canyon, descending back to our final campsite in CHiquiska (1800m/5905ft).
Distance: 16km/11.32 miles
Elevation: 3100m/10170ft to 1800m/5905ft
Weather: Hot and humid; many mosquitoes
CHIQUISKA – CAPULIYOQ – CUSCO
- Today, is the final stretch of the trek as we make our way back to Cachora. Early in the morning, in order to escape the heat of the canyon, we descend to the raging river, and then begin a switchback climb that is rewarded with spectacular views.
- We will climb for about four hours, and have lunch in Capuliyoc (2915 metres/ 9561 feet), with the final views of Choquequirao in the distance, before heading back to Cachora in the late afternoon.
- After arriving at Cachora, we will catch our bus and make our way back to Cusco.
Elevation: 1800m/5905ft to 2915m/9561ft