Glaciers, Rainbow Mountains, Lakes, & Alpacas! This trek has it all!
The Rainbow Mountain Trek, without a doubt, offers some of the most wonderful scenery in the Cusco area. It is an amazing option for those looking for a challenging, high-altitude hike that includes three passes over 5000m/16000ft. Along the way, you will find unique wildlife and get close to the glacier of Ausangate, sitting comfortably at 6380m/20,926ft. Trekking this Rainbow Mountain hike will take you back in time to a place where the locals still wear traditional ponchos and hats and reward you with quiet, uncrowded trails, spectacular glacial lakes, stunning snow-capped peaks, and the unusual streaked landscapes of the Rainbow Mountains of Vinicuna.
This trek does not include entrance to Machu Picchu. However, as with all Hikes offered by First Step Expeditions, additional tours of Cusco and/or Machu Picchu can be added to create a unique and customized adventure.
|START/END LOCATION||Your hotel in Cusco|
|Transportation from end to end||Tents – 2 people/tent (single occupancy available for additional charge.)|
|Private, English speaking guide||All entrance fees and permits|
|All meals as listed (can accommodate dietary restrictions with proper notice)||Sleeping Mat|
|Duffel bags for items to be carried by porters (up to 15lbs/7kilos per person).||Basic First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle|
|Clean water at every meal stop|
|Walking sticks (available for rent)||Breakfast – Day one|
|Dinner – Day 4||Travel Insurance|
|Alcoholic Beverages of any kind||Sleeping Bag (can be rented for $30)|
Day 1: CUSCO – URPIS
- We will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning for a three hour drive to our starting point in Tinqi. From Tinqi, we will walk for approximately four hours to our campsite in Urpis.
- We will enjoy both lunch and dinner in Urpis while having the opportunity to enjoy the Ausangate glacier and the natural hot springs.
Day 2: URPIS – APARA PASS – PUKA Q’OCHA
- After breakfast, we will climb for three hours to the Arapa Pass (4850m/15908 ft).
- After crossing the pass, we will descend for three and a half hours to Uchuy Puka q’ocha – the Turquoise Lake.
- After a short walk, we will arrive at camp in Puka Q’ocha. Before dinner, and if you have the energy, we will explore around a small ridge north of the camp for views of Laguna Vinococha, so-named because it often looks like red wine.
Day 3: PUKA Q'OCHA – RAINBOW MOUNTAIN -VINICUNCA
- After breakfast, we will continue on through the valley, steadily climbing to Rainbow Mountain (5,200m/17,060ft). This is one of the key tourist highlights in South America, and one of the most beautiful natural attractions in Peru.
- We will stop here for lunch, with plenty of time to take photos. We then continue walking to our campsite.
Day 4: VINICUNA - CUSCO
- After spending your last night in the Andes, you will continue on the expedition to the end of the trail and stop to enjoy your final lunch.
- Our private van will take you back to Cusco and drop you off at your hotel.
For a more detailed itinerary, click here.