This one will take you on an EPIC expedition with breathtaking views, unbelievable scenery, and the experience of a lifetime
The classic Inca Trail hike is a moderately challenging four day, three-night hiking and camping adventure. This particular 43 kilometer (26.7 mile) stretch of trail connecting major Inca archaeological sites to Machu Picchu has become known as the “Inca Trail.”
Over the last 10 years, this hike has become incredibly popular to the point that access to this trail is strictly limited and requires a ticket to be purchased roughly 6 months in advance. It is impossible to hike this trail without a licensed guide and the daily number of hikers allowed on the trail is limited to 500. First Step Expeditions cannot guarantee availability until we have the permit in hand.
|DEPARTURE/RETURN LOCATION||Your hotel in Cusco or Ollantaytambo|
Day 1: CUSCO – AYAPATA
- We will drive from your hotel to the start of the Inca Trail at KM 82.
- The first leg of the trek passes amazing scenery and a few Inca sites for 4 hours until we get to the lunch spot.
- After lunch, a 2.5 hour climb takes us through 2 small communities to the campsite at Ayapata.
Day 2:AYAPATA - CHAQUICOCHA
- After a hearty breakfast, we start the 4 hour hike to the appropriately named Dead Woman’s Pass.
- After spending some time here to rest, we will descend for one hour to lunch in the Pacaymayu Valley.
- After lunch, we continue on for 3.5 hours up and down until we get to our campsite at Chaquicocha for dinner.
Day 3: CHAQUICOCHA - WIÑAY WAYNA
- Today is the most impressive day of the trek. We will begin with an early breakfast before hiking for 2 hours along the Indiana Jones Path where we will begin to enter the jungle.
- Towards the end of the path, we will begin to climb again to the Town in the Clouds – Phuyupatamarka.
- From here, we will hike down the famous Inca stairs to our last campsite at Wiñay Wayna where we will have lunch.
- You will have a guided tour of Wiñay Wayna before having free time to explore there until dinner.
Day 4: MACHU PICCHU - CUSCO
- Today, you will get up really early to enter the checkpoint of Machu Picchu as early as possible.
- You will enter the city through the Sun Gate before descending into the citadel where your guide will give you a 2 hour walking tour.
- You will have the option to spend some time on your own in the city or climb Huayna Picchu mountain if you have purchased a ticket in advance.
- When you are done exploring, you will take the bus to Aguas Calientes before taking the train to Ollantaytambo where your van to Cusco will be waiting.
|For a more detailed itinerary, click here.|