The Rainbow Mountain Trek, without a doubt, offers some of the most wonderful scenery in the Cusco area. It is an amazing option for those looking for a challenging, high-altitude hike that includes three passes over 5000m/16000ft. Along the way, you will find unique wildlife and get close to the glacier of Ausangate, sitting comfortably at 6380m/20,926ft. Trekking this Rainbow Mountain hike will take you back in time to a place where the locals still wear traditional ponchos and hats and reward you with quiet, uncrowded trails, spectacular glacial lakes, stunning snow-capped peaks, and the unusual streaked landscapes of the Rainbow Mountains of Vinicuna.
This trek does not include entrance to Machu Picchu. However, as with all Hikes offered by First Step Expeditions, additional tours of Cusco and/or Machu Picchu can be added to create a unique and customized adventure.
CUSCO – URPIS
- We will pick you up from your hotel early in the morning for a three hour drive to our starting point in Tinqi. From Tinqi, we will walk for approximately four hours to our campsite in Upis.
- We will enjoy both lunch and dinner in Upis while having the opportunity to enjoy the Ausangate glacier and the natural hot springs.
URPIS – APARA PASS – PUKA Q’OCHA
- After breakfast, we will climb steadily for three hours to the Arapa Pass (4850m/15908 ft).
- After crossing the pass, we will descend for three and a half hours to Uchuy Pucacocha – the Turquoise Lake.
- After a short walk, we will arrive at camp in Puka Q’ocha. Before dinner, and if you have the energy, we will explore around a small ridge north of the camp for views of Laguna Vinococha, so-named because it often looks like red wine.
PUKAQOCHA – RAINBOW MOUNTAIN -VINICUNCA
- After breakfast, we will continue on through the valley, steadily climbing to Rainbow Mountain (5,200m/17,060ft). This is one of the key tourist highlights in South America, and one of the most beautiful natural attractions in Peru.
- We will stop here for lunch, with plenty of time to take photos. We then continue walking to our campsite.
VINICUNCA – CUSCO
- After spending your last night in the Andes, you will continue on the expedition to the end of the trail and stop to enjoy your final lunch.
- Our private van will take you back to Cusco and drop you off at your hotel.
- Pickup from your hotel in Cusco
- Private transportation
- All trail permits and entrance fees
- English speaking guide
- Sleeping Mat
- All meals as specified in the itinerary (dietary restrictions will be honored with proper notice)
- Horses and porters for equipment transport
- Duffel bags for your personal items (up to 7 kg/15lbs per person)
- Fresh, purified water at every meal stop.
- Basic First aid kit including emergency oxygen bottle
- Walking sticks (available for rent)
- Sleeping Bag (available for rent for $30)
- Alcoholic beverages of any kind
- Travel insurance
- Tips for porters, horsement, chef, and guide (to see our guide for tipping, please go here)
Walking time: 9 to 10 hours (more or less depending on how much you want to see)
Elevation: 5,200 m /17,060 ft
Weather: Chilly early; warm while walking midday; cold in the evening. Weather is unpredictable in Cusco. Please bring rain gear just in case.
2-3 people: $740/person
4-5 people: $650/person
6+ people: $580/person
Walking sticks: $12
Sleeping Bags: $30