CUSCO EPIC EXPEDITION - - No camping
We are often asked how we would recommend someone spend one week in Peru. If you only have one week, you should definitely only focus your time on Cusco and the surrounding Sacred Valley region. This complete one-week itinerary is our recommendation for the best of Cusco. And the even better part? We take care of all of the details. All you have to do is get yourself to Cusco!
ARRIVE IN CUSCO
- We will pick you up at the airport and take you to your hotel.
- After you have had some time to settle in, we will take you on a short walking tour of the city where you will see the Plaza de Armas, the Qoricancha Temple, and San Pedro Market.
- The rest of the day will be free to explore on your own and get dinner at your leisure.
- After breakfast at your hotel, we will pick you up for a short car ride to the south of Cusco to explore the temple of the water and the pre-Inca ruins of Pikyllacta.
- After lunch, we will head back to the historic center of Cusco to visit the ruins of the Saqsayhuaman fortress.
- We will have time to explore the ruins and enjoy the panoramic views of Cusco before heading back to the city center for dinner on your own.
PISAQ, ANKASMARCA, & PACHAMANCA
- Your adventure begins with a morning exploration of the beautiful archaeological site of Pisaq.
- Next, we will go to an off-the-beaten-path location called Ancasmarca. This truly unique archaeological site is not often visited by tourists so it allows for a better experience.
- From here, we will travel to Urubamba where you will be greeted by the staff with a Pachamanca lunch – a traditional Peruvian meal cooked by hot stones in a natural, underground oven. After lunch, we will make a few more stops on our way back to Cusco.
Moray, Maras, Ollantaytambo, & Aguas Calientes
- After breakfast, we will pick you up from your hotel and drive to our first destination: Moray – the Inca Green House.
- Next, we will drive to the Salinas (salt mines) in Maras where you will see 3,000 pools etched into the side of a mountain fed by one small, extremely salty stream. If you’re lucky, you may see a family harvesting their salt.
- After this tour, we will get back in the van to travel to lunch in Urubamba. After lunch, we will visit a local Chicheria (brewery) to learn about chicha and try some samples.
- Finally, we will head to Ollantaytambo to explore before our train to Aguas Calientes.
- After checking into your hotel, we will meet for dinner and discuss the plan for the next day at Machu Picchu.
- Today is the highlight of the journey. We recommend waking up early to catch the first bus around 5:30am. After entering Machu Picchu, you will have a two-hour guided tour of the most important sites in the city.
- Following the tour, there will be free time to explore the site at your own pace or do any of the short alternative treks to the Inca Bridge or the Sungate. If you purchased a ticket in advance to climb Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain, you will complete those hikes at this time (tickets to Huayna Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain are NOT included and must be purchased separately).
- At the designated time, your guide will meet you down in the village of Aguas Calientes to pick up your luggage from the hotel and take you to the train station for your ride back to Ollantaytambo. A private van will take you back to your hotel in Cuscso from the train station.
- Spend your last free morning in Cusco relaxing, getting a massage, or shopping.
- At 3pm we will meet for a cooking class at one of the local kitchens where you will have a chance to cook “Peruvian style” and enjoy dinner.
- We will pick you up from your hotel to take you to the airport for your flight home.
- All airport transfers
- All transportation
- Private English speaking guide
- All tours and entrance fees
- Accommodations at three star hotels and luggage transportation (Double occupancy. Single occupancy available for additional charge)
- All meals as mentioned in the itinerary (*can honor dietary preferences with proper notice)
- Tickets for optional Huanya Picchu or Machu Picchu Mountain hikes (must be purchased separately for $30 in advance)
- Meals as specified in the itinerary
- Travel insurance of any kind
- Tips (please see our guide for tipping here)
- Alcoholic Beverages